Hiawatha Valley Mental Health Center enhances the access to mental health services for students and families in numerous public, private, and charter schools in our areas served. School-Linked Mental Health Services promote and foster earlier identification of mental health concerns and consequently prompt intervention with children, youth, and their families. This program, is supported in part by a State of Minnesota Mental Health Grant, as well as other grants and funding resources. School-Linked Staff work closely and collaborate with school staff to help support the students as much as possible by providing effective techniques that can be used in classroom settings. Additionally, the School-Linked Staff work with school administrators to offer mental health related training to school staff. School-Linked Therapy is convenient for youth, their families, and schools because it is within the school, therefore eliminating transportation and other barriers to accessing mental health services. Please note that therapy sessions can also be held in the home, office, or other spaces depending on the needs and wishes of the clients. Our goals is to help your child achieve success. School-Linked Mental Health services are offered in Winona, Fillmore, Wabasha, and Houston counties.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- School-Linked Therapists first meet with the student and their families/caregivers to complete a diagnostic assessment.
- After initial assessment, the therapist, youth, and family/caregivers will determine treatment goals and options that would best benefit the youth.
- School-Linked Staff works to identify what services would most benefit the youth, such as: individual or family therapy, individual or family skills training, group psychotherapy, group skills training, and/or medication management.
- School-Linked services are year round, they continue throughout the summer months even when school is not in session.
- School-Linked Staff will have regular communication with parents/caregivers, school staff, and other providers involved with the youth.
- The School-Linked Staff members are mental health professional and practitioners that have diverse skill sets, along with education and experience in a variety of fields, including social work, psychology, counseling, substance abuse, and health & wellness.
If you have any questions about this service and/or would like to make a referral, please call 507-474-9320 ext. 100.